Past January 1st, the IMPACT-EV project was launched. The main goal of IMPACT-EV is to develop a permanent system of selection, monitoring and evaluation of the various impacts of Social Sciences and the Humanities (SSH) research. During the following four years (2014-2017) the team will expand existing knowledge on scientific, political and social impact in order to support SSH researchers and funding agencies to have higher impact and to better meet the EU 2020 targets:
- 75% of the 20-64 year-olds to be employed
- 3% of the EU’s GDP to be invested in R&D
- greenhouse gas emissions 20% (or even 30%, if the conditions are right) lower than 1990, 20% of energy from renewables, 20% increase in energy efficiency
- reducing the rates of early school leaving below 10%,
- at least 40% of 30-34–year-olds completing third level education
- at least 20 million fewer people in or at risk of poverty and social exclusion
The identification and promotion of SSH social impact is a key aspect for the future of SSH, as it is when policy-makers and citizens observe how SSH research outcomes contribute to improve society’s living conditions that SSH research is not only not questioned any more but they regain being legitimate and publically supported.
As the coordinating institution, CREA-University of Barcelona will host IMPACT-EV Kick-off meeting next February 7th 2014. Representatives of eight partner institutions will discuss and agree with the main guidelines of the project in order to accomplish the objectives established for the next 12 months.
You can learn more from the project visiting our newly launched website or following us on TWITTER (@Impact_ev).